Sign In or Create an Account.

By continuing, you agree to the Terms of Service and acknowledge our Privacy Policy

Sparks

New York’s Year of Battery Fires Keeps Getting Worse

Seventeen people have died so far. Officials blame a plague of cheaply-produced, unsafe batteries.

Firefighters in New York.
Heatmap Illustration/Getty Images

A lithium-ion battery sparked a deadly blaze that killed three family members in a Brooklyn brownstone over the weekend, the FDNY revealed on Monday. Two electric scooters, powered by lithium-ion batteries, were found at the site.

Per WABC, the fire started in the Brooklyn neighborhood of Crown Heights at around 4:30 a.m. on Sunday. Though firefighters arrived at the scene in under four minutes, the brownstone was already engulfed in a wall of flame. The fire ultimately claimed the lives of three generations of the West family: Albertha West, 81, as well as her son, Michael West, 58 and her grandson, Jamiyl West, 33. Twelve others were injured.

It’s a story that has become all too common in New York City. According to FDNY Commissioner Laura Kavanagh, Sunday’s fire brings the total number of people killed by battery fires to 17. Two hundred and thirty eight total fires have been linked to the batteries, according to officials. When produced under accepted standards, lithium-ion batteries are safe, as The New York Times notes. But cheaply-produced, unregulated batteries for e-bikes and scooters are proliferating, particularly among delivery workers.

"We owe it to the West family to do everything we can to make sure we do not lose one more New Yorker to these devices," said Kavanagh. "We are on track to surpass 100 fire deaths this year. That is an extraordinary number not seen in decades."

Lithium-ion battery fires are notoriously difficult to put out, as our own Matthew Zeitlin explained earlier this year. Tightly-packed battery cells can give way to dangerous thermal runaway, resulting in fires that are prone to re-ignition. Batteries also do not smolder before exploding, making it impossible for smoke detectors to, well, detect them.

"They explode – and the second they explode, there may be so much fire at that moment, you can't get out," Kavanagh said.

Kavanagh specifically called out big corporations like Amazon, Walmart, Grubhub, and Uber Eats as the true instigators of NYC’s prolific year of fires. These companies are ultimately responsible for a huge underground market of low-cost and unregulated batteries, bikes, and scooters, she claimed.

“There is blood on the hands of this private industry,” Kavanagh said. She added, “We anxiously await to hear from the delivery apps and the online retailers who we have reached out to and not heard back.”

You’re out of free articles.

Subscribe today to experience Heatmap’s expert analysis 
of climate change, clean energy, and sustainability.
To continue reading
Create a free account or sign in to unlock more free articles.
or
Please enter an email address
By continuing, you agree to the Terms of Service and acknowledge our Privacy Policy
Sparks

Google’s Investment Surge Is Fabulous News for Utilities

Alphabet and Amazon each plan to spend a small-country-GDP’s worth of money this year.

A data center and the Google logo.
Heatmap Illustration/Getty Images

Big tech is spending big on data centers — which means it’s also spending big on power.

Alphabet, the parent company of Google, announced Wednesday that it expects to spend $175 billion to $185 billion on capital expenditures this year. That estimate is about double what it spent in 2025, far north of Wall Street’s expected $121 billion, and somewhere between the gross domestic products of Ecuador and Morocco.

Keep reading...Show less
Blue
Sparks

Sunrise Wind Got Its Injunction

Offshore wind developers: 5. Trump administration: 0.

Donald Trump and offshore wind.
Heatmap Illustration/Getty Images

The offshore wind industry is now five-for-five against Trump’s orders to halt construction.

District Judge Royce Lamberth ruled Monday morning that Orsted could resume construction of the Sunrise Wind project off the coast of New England. This wasn’t a surprise considering Lamberth has previously ruled not once but twice in favor of Orsted continuing work on a separate offshore energy project, Revolution Wind, and the legal arguments were the same. It also comes after the Trump administration lost three other cases over these stop work orders, which were issued without warning shortly before Christmas on questionable national security grounds.

Keep reading...Show less
Green
Sparks

Utilities Asked for a Lot More Money From Ratepayers Last Year

A new PowerLines report puts the total requested increases at $31 billion — more than double the number from 2024.

A very heavy electric bill.
Heatmap Illustration/Getty Images

Utilities asked regulators for permission to extract a lot more money from ratepayers last year.

Electric and gas utilities requested almost $31 billion worth of rate increases in 2025, according to an analysis by the energy policy nonprofit PowerLines released Thursday morning, compared to $15 billion worth of rate increases in 2024. In case you haven’t already done the math: That’s more than double what utilities asked for just a year earlier.

Keep reading...Show less